Click here to download a copy of the Ten Commandments of Successful Parenting
TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SUCCESSFUL PARENTING!
From CARING PARENTS: A Guide to Successful Parenting
A book, in progress, by Herbert Jay Rosenfield, ACSW, LCSW, BCD
- You shall raise your child, firstly, as a ‘human being’ and, secondly, as a ‘boy’ or ‘girl’!
- You shall build your child’s self-esteem — through appropriate praise, attention, and encouragement
- You shall give your child gradual independence — through appropriate opportunities for growth, exploration, and experimentation!
- You shall give your child comfortable boundaries – by age-appropriate limits which are clearly state and consistently applied!
- You shall give your child an understanding of his feelings — through opportunities and assistance to express his own feelings verbally!
- You shall teach you child healthy attitudes and factual information about ‘human sexuality’ in an age-appropriate and sensitive manner!
- You shall teach your child to be responsible to others beyond himself — by age-appropriate opportunities to be a contributing member of the family!
- You shall demonstrate respect for your child by the manner in which you act to and speak to her!
- You shall assist your child to attain a ‘balanced lifestyle’ by exposure to and encouragement to participate in a variety of interest areas and activities!
- You shall teach you child how to behave by your own ‘role-modeling’, communicating positive expectations by example!
© Herbert Jay Rosenfield 1985, 1993, 2000, 2007